Previously known as the Institute and Museum for the History of Science, since 2010 this historic location in Florence has been dedicated to Galileo, housing the scientific and mathematic instruments that have helped some of the greatest minds in history gain an understanding of the world around us.
Highlights of the private Galileo Galilei Science Museum Tour include:
- See the instruments that aided Galileo with his fascinating and once heretical findings, including the world being round and the Earth orbiting around the sun
- Learn about the strange and the marvellous instruments developed by some of the world’s greatest minds
- Witness the birth of amazing discoveries in the fields of astronomy, science and physics – discoveries which formed the basis of many of today’s most useful technologies
- Hear captivating stories behind the creation of these wondrous tools, used as party tricks to amaze spectators with ‘magic’ and illusions based on burgeoning scientific knowledge
- See beautifully hand-made scientific objects that used to belong to the Medici and Lorraine families, including early astrolabes, calculators, thermometers, and even some strange surgical instruments
- Gaze upon original telescopes used by Galileo in 1609 to find Jupiter’s satellites
- Learn about his outstanding contributions to human knowledge that led to his being known as the Father of Astronomy, of Science, and Physics
What is appropriate for tipping in Italy?
In Italy, tipping is not as common in restaurants as it is in North America. You will sometimes see on your bill that a “coperto” or service fee is already included...
When is a good time to visit?
Italy's climate varies greatly from the Alps in the north to the southern areas and islands. Many parts of the country are fairly mild climate and beautiful for different reasons throughout the year. Some prefer to visit in the spring when...
Read all FAQs