Highlights of the private Best of Siena Tour include:
- Be immersed in the history this most charming hilltop town, visiting some of its most picturesque places, including the unforgettable Piazza del Campo
- Hear about the fascinating lives of the powerful families that lived within the gothic, renaissance and mannerist-style palaces
- From the fable of the Sienese wolf to the murderous tale of Pia de’ Tolomei, hear amazing stories behind this charming must-see town
- Hear the fascinating stories behind the life of Saint Catherine, see where she lived, gaze upon the paintings depicting important scenes from her life, and even spy her relics
- Find out about the Palio, the famous horse race with an intriguing history as you see where the horses are held and hear about the tensions, tricks and thrills peppering its colourful history
- Hear the dramatic and at times humorous stories of the rivalry between Siena and Florence
- Learn about the local foods, from sweet treats to delicious meats, as your guide points out some lovely places to dine
The finer details:
Meeting point: in front of Church San Domenico (just by the parking lot in front of the church)
Includes: expert private guide
Excludes: entries to the Duomo. On some days of the year it is free but at times, there is a €4 entrance fee and you can pay this directly onsite. When pavement is uncovered (from about mid-August to late October) , entry fee is from €7.
Not included: entries to the Duomo. On some days of the year it is free but at times, there is a €4 entrance fee and you can pay this directly onsite. When pavement is uncovered (from about mid-August to late October) , entry fee is from €7
Start Location: Siena
End Location: Siena
Dress Code: knees, backs and shoulders must be covered for entry into churches
runs rain or shine
When is a good time to visit?
Italy's climate varies greatly from the Alps in the north to the southern areas and islands. Many parts of the country are fairly mild climate and beautiful for different reasons throughout the year. Some prefer to visit in the spring when...
What is appropriate for tipping in Italy?
In Italy, tipping is not as common in restaurants as it is in North America. You will sometimes see on your bill that a “coperto” or service fee is already included...
Read all FAQs